Pages

Saturday, December 13, 2008

trees


It is the time of year when you drive down the road and wherever you turn, you see trees strapped to the tops of cars, launched out of trucks, toppling into houses, decked with garland and lights, ornaments hand made and store bought. Festive corn popping, hot chocolate sipping, holiday music choraling. Cats wishing for catnip, dogs dreaming of candy cane shaped bones, rats hoping for more hmmm food? Children talking of this toy or that, imagining the magic of Santa Claus. And now this house, this home, is no different. To the season we add our own tree. I have mixed feelings about bringing these trees into our homes in such quantities this time of year and would very much like to bring a live tree into the house one of these years and return it to the wild after the holidays as a planted, sustained, living tree. Someday. For now I do the best for the one we have chosen, covering it with love with my family, allowing the memories of Christmases past to flood my mind, anticipation of the Christmas to come creeping in. If I think too hard about Christmas I become as excited and enthusiastic as my children, unable to fathom that I must-wait-for-how-many-more-days until Christmas?

No comments: