Pages

Saturday, December 20, 2008

sleigh bells ring

I admit to keeping things quiet with regards to winter festivities this year. To be honest, the intensity gets to me and by the time the holidays are here I am all worn out. This year I scaled back even more and have basically waited until just a few days before Christmas to get the kids involved in holiday fixings- cookie baking, cake baking, bread baking, bird seed-on-pine-cones, wrapping a few gifts, if quietly, not flurrying. And I really appreciate all of the snow and its help in giving Samuel something else to think about and enjoy. It has actually been a lovely December, peaceful, with some wondering about Christmas, advent calendars, lists to Santa, tree decorating, candy canes, checking out holiday lights, without all of the wall-bouncing and intensity of previous years (I mean there is always some wall-bouncing). I don't know if this is due to the kids being a little older or my letting things flow even more and peaceful wishes or the snow or a combination (I suspect the combination) but I am actually really looking forward to Christmas and the other winter holidays this year, even looking forward to preparing for them! I am eagerly awaiting the grocery delivery this afternoon with thoughts of cookie sprinkles and peanut butter for the birds.

Eva has been checking out gifts hidden here and there and found the Christmas chocolate that Santa usually brings. I guess this year I will leave the chocolate for Santa. She found some gifts in the garage from Grandpa and of course one of her gifts was left in its original box out front when it was delivered, so I guess that will be from us as well. It is a pink big wheel and it was going to be a super surprise! I guess it still was a super surprise, just not what I had um expected (here goes some flowing...). Now she lets out little hints that she is thinking about it like, "You know momma, I think I would really like a little tricycle that is all pink...maybe even more than some other things..." So, you see, she got a pretty good look at it!

I expect to start cookie-ing tomorrow or the next day. As tomorrow is Winter Solstice, I will want to do some festive thing, probably for the birds, definitely something with candles and possibly a cake, although Eva may want the cake on Christmas. It is to be a love cake with hearts, etc but perhaps we can have it both days. Not sure how I will make pullah and cake on Christmas Eve. I assume by that point there will be wall-bouncing...

Ai yai yai the groceries are going to be late due to the weather. At least we weren't cancelled!

Yesterday


I am loving my new socks and slippers!

Today


Snow silenting...

5 comments:

Lyla Wolfenstein said...

oh man, jessica those slippers are awesome!! and the hat too! i am so envious of your knitting skills! not that mine are not as good - mine are nonexistent!

Jessica Huber said...

Oh! I didn't make the slippers :) I am just loving them. They are made by Haflinger :)

Lyla Wolfenstein said...

oooooohhhh!! lol. is that a brand or a person? lol!

Jessica Huber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica Huber said...

Brand of wool clogs and slippers! So warm :)
Jessica