Pages

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

cabbage

What to do with all of that cabbage. Don't feel like any more cabbage soup? I don't blame you. Neither do I. How about Savoy Cabbage with Potatoes and Brown Butter from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison.

8 oz boiling or fingerling potatoes
1 1/2 lbs Savoy cabbage, cut into large squares or strips
3 Tbsp brown butter
1/2 cup diced taleggio or teleme
2 Tbsp Parmesan
2 Tbsp chopped sage
salt and pepper

Peel potatoes and cut into 1/2 inch chunks or or slice diagonally into 3/8 inch chunks. Steam until tender, about 15 minutes, then remove them to bowl and cover to keep warm. Steam the cabbage until tender, 5-10 minutes. Combine vegetables in a bowl, toss with brown butter, cheeses and sage and season with salt and pepper.

What I am actually going to do is steam the potatoes, braise the cabbage, mix with potatoes, add Parmesan (maybe some cheddar as well but not taleggio or teleme as I have none) and perhaps some marjoram which I prefer to sage, although I have ample of both. The question is whether the marjoram survived the chill outside. I am also going to add a shallot and some garlic and make it moister rather than cheesier. And I just realized I am out of olive oil and will be using more butter than I initially thought!

No comments: