Pages

Saturday, December 27, 2008

I like this passage from Comet in Moominland by Tove Jansson:
It was a funny little path, winding here and there, dashing off in different directions, and sometimes even tying a knot in itself from sheer joy. (You don't get tired of a path like that, and I'm not sure that it doesn't get you home quicker in the end.)
And this one:
(Hemulens are generally a bit slow in grasping an idea, but they are very pleasant if you don't annoy them.)
And this one:
Enormous crabs were sidling in and out between the shells, telling each other how strange it was that the water had disappeared. They wondered who had taken it away and when it would come back. "Thank goodness I'm not a jelly-fish!" said one. "Out of the water they are nothing but miserable little splodges, but we of course are equally happy wherever we are."

I feel so sorry for anybody who wasn't born a crab," said another. "It's quite possible that this drying-up of the sea has been arranged especially so that we shall have more space to live in."

"What an excellent thought! Why not a world peopled entirely by crabs?" exclaimed a third, waving his claws.
And of course:
"Well, strike me pink!" exclaimed Moomintroll.

3 comments:

Miriam said...

I *love* Janssen's writing. Just odd bit of description in funny places. From Finn Family Moomintroll:

Then the Snork Maiden began to cry.

"Go away!" said the Snork to Moomintroll, "Otherwise, we shall have to sit on your head."

I just love those books! :D Thanks for sharing that. A walk down memory lane.

Jessica Huber said...

some of it really reminds me of the winnie the pooh books like that with funny things for everyone to enjoy! I love the scene where they wrestle the humulen's dress off (because of course they all wear dresses)and he is so upset and they use it as a balloon :) The next one is in at the library and we are excited!

Miriam said...

Yes, a lot like the classic pooh stories, only with a hint more ridiculousness, which is just delightful. I always wanted to meet Moomintroll when I was a kid. Or be one.