Pages

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

pumpkin cookies

I modified a pumpkin cookie recipe sent along in this past week's produce basket. The original recipe is included in parentheses-

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar (recipe called for 1 1/2 cups brown sugar only- you could use less than I did)
1 cup cooked mashed pumpkin
dash of salt (1 tsp or whatever you feel comfortable with)
1 tsp cinnamon
(1/2 tsp allspice- I was out)
1/2 tsp ginger
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups whole spelt flour (2 1/2 cups all purpose flour)
3 tsp baking powder
(1/2 cup walnuts- again, as you enjoy...)
I also added chocolate chips- semi sweet- about 1/4-1/2 cup, depending. I like just a few...

I cooked the pumpkin earlier in the day, whole, and then scooped out the seeds. One small pumpkin has so far given me enough pumpkin to make these cookies and some cranberry-blueberry-pumpkin muffins and another cup or more frozen for later. You can always use squash of any sort to make these as well.

Follow usual cookie making steps as in cream butter, sugar, add eggs, add pumpkin, add dry ingredients, add extras...Spoon onto greased/ parchment paper lined cookie sheet. They don't spread very far because they are quite cake-y. If you add only brown sugar I imagine they would be even fluffier...The recipe said to bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes. I baked at 350 for about 18-20 minutes.

1 comment:

Paz123 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.