Pages

Friday, November 7, 2008

books

books-
Let's see, I am reading a book called From Here to Here by Gary Crowley. I did a little reading (just a little) about Superstring theory today and a little about panpsychism over on Christian de Quincey's site. The kids and I went for a walk in the woods at the Arboretum and came back and read Born with a Bang (story of how the universe started, told from the perspective of the universe), Three Little Javelinas (Southwestern Three Little Pigs) and Snap (foodchain tale).

I just finished up Ship Made of Paper, an unlikely book choice for me usually but it turned out to be quite a bit about race and was interesting in light of the recent election, which while not about race for me per se, seemed to be quite a bit about race for others, in many different ways. I also recently read In Defense of Food by Michael Pollen, which I admit to speedreading quite a bit of and which I am happy to say does not seem to diminish my comprehension in any way shape or form. Still, it gets a book read right quick.

I am also reading Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman. Samuel thoroughly enjoyed Weslandia and we also read Odd Boy Out about Young Albert Einstein (do you detect a pattern here?). I have A Long Way Gone- Memoirs of a Boy Soldier and Shadow of the Wind on my shelf currently and feel so excited about reading some fiction after a long break. The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz (it won the Pulitzer) got me started again and is just an amazing book. I had to return it before I had a chance to finish it and am filling up the space and time until it is my turn again. Thinking of checking out Calvino again, who I tried to read way way back in college but got sidetracked from, what with all of the Tolstoy and Gogol going on during that time...

No comments: