Pages

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Earlier today I was taking the compost and pumpkins from Halloween out to the compost pile. I was struck by how glorious everything is. Our yard is covered in a thick bed of yellow maple leaves. There are three smaller trees with crimson leaves and the giant pin oak with his deep red leaves. As I stood in the leaves, the wind blew more leaves onto the ground and I could watch them falling through the air. When I looked up, I saw that the sky to the north was a deep shade of midnight blue and the red leaves against this were striking. And then wonder of wonders, I saw a rainbow- very faint, just over the nearest crimson tree.

I stood still on the leaves for a few moments to take in the beauty around me, to see it for how it was at that moment, appreciating this time of year and all that comes with it. I love its stillness, the changes it brings, the contrast.



You can't make out the rainbow here as it was very faint. To the south there is sunshine and some clouds. Within minutes of taking out the compost, the sky changed and then..downpour! It is raining steady now after about a 1/2 hour downpour.

You never know who will come out in such weather. There are several squirrels who frequent our yard for the tasty selection of birdseed and cracked corn we have spread about. One fellow in particular is a little ruffian with a ragged almost bare tail and scruffy patches on his (or her) body. Little Ruffian Squirrel ventured into the patio for a little shelter and a snack during the downpour.

And then right in the middle of it all, this hawk landed on our fence. I wonder if he is one of the juveniles from this summer.

No comments: