Pages

Friday, November 14, 2008



Another glorious day AND I finished the hat I have been working on. This is the third hat I have made with this lovely angora yarn (eggplantish color looks more purple in photo; the mustard and orange yarns are both wool; all at 6 sts/inch) and I think this one is a keeper. I wore it all day to get used to it, because as Samuel mentioned, I was feeling it was a little bright, at least for my head. He said I will only knit brown things for myself and that I am under a brown spell. Interesting, because I do wear a lot of brown but I have a purple vest and blue shoes so maybe an eggplant hat won't be too much after all. I finished up Samuel's new red hat as well (also 6 sts/inch). This year's red hat is knit in three shades of red- the bottom half is alpaca and then a little left over orangey-red from my stash and some new worsted weight for the top which I intend to make mittens out of as well, hoping they will keep the snow out a bit more than the alpaca, which was really soft and not a bit itchy but which also absorbed moisture too easily.

This weeks produce basket is amazing! There are several tomatoes and I have a few brandywines from my garden that I have been ripening in the kitchen. Brandywine tomatoes in November! Also potatoes, collards, leeks, peppers, romanesco, cauliflower, beets and would you believe, chard! So of course I am making chard with chickpeas tonight and beet risotto later this week? I want to find some brown arborio rice for the risotto and wonder if such a creature exists? But I am torn because I would love to juice the beets as well, particularly with the carrots AND apples. Oh, and there is also a kabocha squash, not to be confused with kombucha.

And speaking of kombucha, I have been checking it out and my mother is about ready so that I can try making my own kombucha!

No comments: