Pages

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

peonies

When I was a kid I took care of the peony plants in the back yard- out in the way back, out past the garden, past the raspberries, near the lilacs and almost, but not quite, to the railroad tracks. We had three big peony bushes and a bunch of rhubarb near that. I loved clearing them out and making way for new growth. I am so happy to have peonies in my yard again.



After all these years I finally looked up why ants are always on peonies and was so excited to read the response. They like the nectar secreted by the peonies and may even be helping the peonies open up their dense buds into flowers. I love that! Maybe that is where all of those large ants are heading as they meander across the patio. Their activity has certainly increased as the peonies have been blooming!

No comments: