Pages

Sunday, May 31, 2009

garden

The garden is flourishing with the warmer weather. Flowers flowers everywhere! Lots of peas. Eva has eaten enough unripe peas now and she is letting them ripen again. So many strawberries to look forward to as well. I pulled up the last of the spinach and chard last night as well as some last minute kale and a few beets who were trying to bolt. Something about planting too early and their timer is off? The second batch I planted seems fine although I am definitely keeping an eye on them as I did not expect the bolting from them. There are 5 tomato plants, a cucumber plant and a watermelon plant. The scarlet runner beans are also coming up nicely. I am crossing my fingers for sunflowers this year. So strange none of them made it last year. I ask you- what is a garden without sunflowers? I love them and continue to plant them every year in honor of my grandmother. They were a special flower bond between us. No eggplant or peppers this year. I am leaving them to the CSA. And I have so much chamomile and the poppies! Wow the poppies certainly do well for themselves. These reseeded themselves from last year when Eva dumped the whole packet in the garden. They are amazing. Our whole garden is made even more festive by the bees. Bees and garden spiders and so many wolf spiders with egg sacs! I would love to get a picture of them but they run by so quickly.



roses, chamomile and poppies, calla lillies

No comments: