Pages

Sunday, July 12, 2009

picking and choosing

My favorite part about the u-pick? It can feel so peaceful there- out in the country with all of those plants, listening to the birds. The last couple of times we were out at one of my favorite u-picks I was blessed to hear Cedar Waxwings and baby hawks (Sharp Shinned?). White Crowned Sparrows guarding nests- always always ever present in the berry patch. Looking around, smelling the air. Remembering the season, marveling at the rain or sun or wind or view. Satisfying some not-so-latent human expectation to gather food- not grow food- gather food. Gather berries! Gather cherries! Gather apples! Bring them home. Live on them. Fruity goodness.

The abundance. There is always- albeit always!- enough for everyone even when there doesn't seem to be enough. Even when it is picked over, picked out, crowded, loud, always enough for all. An inspiration- really- for abundance, the Earth displaying her wares. Where did that scarcity go?

I love the surrender of the u-pick- imagining the berries, what I want to pick, arriving only to find there are none of those (or there is plenty!) but there is something else. A surprise. A new twist. Something I forgot? Wow! These are Amazing! A new favorite. So glad I picked where the abundance grew. A lovely metaphor for life, surely that is my favorite part of the u-pick.

Not all u-picks are the same; not all u-pick days are what you would think. Today I brought too many expectations, unhappy children, not enough seats, too few snacks, grumpy moods, wet plants, cold feet (you see where I am going with this?). And that was OK too. Eventually. At least. Because here I sit afterward with photos, berries, gladness we went, gladness we are here, happy to connect, ready for the next time, done with the worry, the fear, the anxiety that it is all too much, too boring, too challenging, letting all that go, surrendering to the yummy goodness of the u-pick and the next time.



Starting out- ready for berries!- row after row of berries!



Marionberries; Samuel roughing it after the push-ups were gone; Eva checking out sparkles on the grass.

No comments: