Pages

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Do guinea pigs ever tire of carrots?

Gratitude totally works. Picture me galumphing around (we are reading Through the Looking Glass, after all) or even shlumping, feeling tired and down. Downer. More down. What to do? It's like a commercial- Just a little gratitude to turn things around! I started with whatever came to mind- raspberries, I got to upick today, the breeze outside, it is cooling off, the 4th went well- you get the idea. A little while later I notice I am definitely feeling better- still tired- but tired is fine. Smiling and tired are just fine. Totally free!

What I have learned from this exercise is not to censure myself. Be grateful for whatever comes to mind, whatever feels good. New pants? Great! Guinea pigs? Nail polish? Trees? Water? Camera? Knitting? Whatever. I mean whatever feels good. None of this- oh that's not big enough to feel grateful for or that's silly or who cares about that? If it comes to mind and you love it and are grateful for it, go for it. Keep 'em coming. It's fun. Once you get started you will notice more and more in your life that you feel grateful for. Gratitude is like that- it keeps going and going and going...

But like anything else, don't force it. Let it flow. Let the gratitude flow.



Eva and Albert in the back munching grass and plantains and dandelions (I guess that's just Albert munching).

No comments: