Pages

Monday, July 27, 2009

heat wave

Well it certainly seems to be easier to be-with-what-is when I like-what-is. I suppose that is self-explanatory, part of either our cultural conditioning or the human condition, depending on which camp you stand in, maybe both for some? It was hot hot hot today in Portland and I found it hard to-be with that and hard to-be with it being hard. Double whammy. Around about the time it dipped to 98ish I started watering the plants and went out front and saw that the chickadees were declaring the blueberries superb. Time to pick the berries. Now? Wow, even with the sun setting it was hot- hot like stepping-into-a-hot-garage hot- but outside. My body felt hydrated and actually willing to take it on. I knew I would want the berries and if I let them slip away I would feel sad and extra-especially irritated with the heat.

So I put some ABBA on my ipod and picked five pints of blueberries. It was a lovely mindful picking session- feeling the hot air, enjoying the berries, amazing myself once again with what can happen when I become present with what-is, no matter what that may be, no matter how irritating and annoying I have declared it, no matter if it is my preference, or in this case, not. The heat suddenly just was. I was hot. Yes. But without the pushing away, it was not nearly as intolerable as it could have been.

I am glad I gave myself the time today to adjust to this heat wave, soaking in the AC, taking time out from running around. It is going to be hotter tomorrow and the next day (104 degrees? did I read that right?) and I know if I take it easy, slow things down, I can be-with-the-heat. I can even be with the heat going away once I get used to it. Remember that? It always cools off eventually.



Heart magnets.

No comments: