Pages

Thursday, June 4, 2009

We're all set- the place is all picked up and ready for our cleaning person to come clean our house tomorrow. I'm clean, the dog's clean, the guinea pig's cage is clean, the kids are clean- well, the kids are cute- I mean really, how cleaned up do kids really need to be? As I as saying, we are all set. I did all the things that she doesn't do (washed the sheets, made the bed, picked up toys, took out recycling. I cleaned the patio and the rain watered the plants.) . A pathway is cleared so that she can do what she does do- namely clean and shine and sparkle and scrub. It is a luxury that I really appreciate. She cleans every two weeks but this time it has been a month because of the chicken pox (although goodness knows I could have used the help during that time as well) so I am at the least doubly excited and appreciative this time.

Yesterday before we met friends at a park I picked up some amazing sandwiches for me and the kids for lunch. I for one was very hungry and had been waiting to sit down and eat my sandwich, some chips, a smoothie...I settled for a few bites of sandwich and some water and was off to the tire swing with a few wistful backward glances at my sandwich, all wrapped up again and awaiting my return in my bag.

When we came back to the table I was surprised to find that two ravens had opened up my bag (apparently they had been watching us the whole time), taken out the sandwich, unwrapped! and taken apart! the sandwich and flown away (just as we approached) with two pieces of the bread. I was doubly surprised because Samuel and his friend had been sitting at the table next to my bag with the sandwich the whole time. Later when I was telling Samuel about it in the car on the way home he was incredulous- no way. Ravens took your sandwich? I said he and his friend had been playing their DS while the ravens took off with the bread. His reply? "I could see that. I get very focused when I am playing the DS." Yep. Very focused.

When I got home I was hoping to salvage some of the sandwich but there were bird prints all over the cheese. You get the idea. Jack had a lovely turkey sandwich- or at least the turkey part. The ravens got the bread.

No comments: