Pages

Monday, June 8, 2009

peas please

I found more beets bolting yesterday- the last of those first beets I planted. The second planting is still doing well. I juiced the ones who were starting to bolt and was surprised to find some pretty good sized beets on a few of them. We are loving the purple carrots I planted- especially the guinea pig who now calls out to me to bring him snacks when he is hungry (wheek wheek wheek!). I guess we have crossed over just a little bit. He pauses before scurrying into this cave when we walk by and definitely knows he is going to get something good when we get him out- today fresh carrots, lettuce and strawberries- all from the garden.

There are peas and more peas and then some peas. Wow! I planted them all together with sweet peas and they are quite a sight out there with the poppies and borage. The tomatoes are growing and the scarlet runner beans are about 8 inches high now. It seems to me the fennel is growing more quickly this year. I am tempted to actually eat it this year after trying some raw at a friend's house. Normally I grow it for the bees because the cooked fennel I had a couple years ago was not what I was looking for.

The onions and garlic are all flowering and tonight I used some of the garlic stalks and flowers in the chard fritters I made. Wow! The garlic flowers and stems are incredibly flavorful. Apparently I am not out of garlic. I am looking forward to digging up the garlic to see how much is down there. The last time I did this I found something like forty heads of garlic- so much garlic. I tried braiding the stalks and was somewhat pleased with my results. This year I may skip that step.

That brings me to our strawberries which are some of the best berries I have ever tasted. I planted some borage near them and that is taking off as well. Apparently the borage keeps the strawberries healthier and resistant to little buggies eating them (although we have plenty...) and more flavorful. I do believe it is working! Now if only I had remembered to plant the carrots near the tomatoes. I also need to clear out an area for the watermelon to expand into. I have high hopes that this year I can grow a melon!

Looking forward to freezing more strawberries tomorrow after upicking and thinking up things to do with all of the peas!

No comments: