Pages

Saturday, September 13, 2008

We went to the Farmers Market today and brought back the most delicious cantaloupe I have ever eaten. This is such an amazing time of year to go to the market. Tomatoes, watermelon, peaches, cantaloupe...and the apples and pears are just starting as well. Also a chicken from the guy that I bought heirloom beans from. Grapes. Blueberries. Eva got a raspberry chocolate brownie. Cilantro, dill, and some yummy roasted tomato salsa! And the pears we picked on Labor Day are really ripe now so we have been eating a ton of really delicious pears. Oh and I nearly forgot! I ordered the turkey for Thanksgiving! Fresh turkey this year from the market. I ordered from the guy that has fresh lamb and sells lovely yarn and wool.

We are reading Arthur, For the Very First Time by Patricia Maclachlan. Such a good book. Samuel was enjoying the Catfish Bend books, so I am going to get some more of those. I am also looking at The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet. We talked today about what constituted different genres- adventure, sci-fi, fantasy, comedy, drama, autobiographical, historical- in terms of movies and then books. It started with a discussion of what constituted a horror movie and if Gremlins was a horror movie. I said it was a sort of mild horror movie. I made the mistake of getting Gremlins for the kids several months ago because I had apparently blocked out a good part of the movie, mainly all of the really scary and icky parts and these have really stuck with Samuel. Then he told me never to get a movie recommendation from a teenager because it will most likely be a horror movie. Not sure where this wisdom comes from, although I did have to admit that I saw many horror movies when I was a teenager, probably more than the rest of my life combined. Hmmm... He said his favorite type of movie was whatever Star Wars was, probably a sci-fi/adventure/drama type movie. Yes, that makes sense. Last night he said his favorite books that we have read were The Little House books and the Jedi Apprentice books. I agreed that both of those series were page turners. I added the My Father's Dragon books we just read and also The Secret Garden. Once you start thinking about it, it seems it is truly hard to pin down just one or two. There are just soooo many good books out there!

Yesterday we went swimming and the kids had great fun. Eva loves the water and I am hoping to get us to a pool more frequently. She was talking about swimming lessons a little bit recently, but after spending some time in the water yesterday, she is thinking she will wait on those and learn about the water on her own for now, which seems to be working really well for her at this point.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG! Samuel sounds so much like Jack they could be cut from the same mold! Jack loves all things starwars and seems to always relate to the bad guys!?! His room is covered with a fleet of lego ships he has designed!! If you have not read Treasure Island to Samuel i bet he would LOVE IT!

Jessica Huber said...

Oh we haven't read that! Thank you. I bet he will like it. We read an abridged version of 20,000 Leagues under the Sea a while back and he loved it. And the relating to the bad guy thing is always interesting to me! OK- I will check out Treasure Island next. I'll let you know!
Jessica

Lisa said...

I am so behind in blog reading! We want to start getting to the pool more often as well. Maybe we could coordinate that sometimes!