Pages

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

unschooling

What does unschooling look like for us? Today in the car I was thinking about posting this because it was just so typical of what to expect from unschooling- which is just another fancy word for life- around here. While driving in the car on the way to a birthday party, Samuel asked about states, provinces, countries, and continents. Which countries are in North America. How many countries are there. Why do people change countries? Boundaries? Wars? How I don't know where all of the countries in Africa are. Also oceans. But more on continents. Then where I have been, where he wants to go, setting up a knight club (after talking about wanting to go to England and France to see castles). Then why did people stop living in castles. Gun powder. The nature of war when people used castles. Switch gears...How is the courtroom run again? How does the jury work? Are judges elected? (Samuel wants to be a judge.) What do lawyers do? Accused? Prosecutors? Defence attorneys? The fact that I was my senior class president (and I am not doing the reunions- Oh wait, we didn't cover that :) and how to get involved in city politics.

On the way home from the birthday party, we talked about how many Lego sets you could get with one quillion dollars. I assumed one quillion to be past quadrillion (as in million, billion trillion, quadrillion, quillion...) and based my figuring on that figure he came up with, using that logic... We figured out he could buy all of the sets he wanted plus a horse plus a custom toy car to take on walks (so I can walk) plus chickens plus a house with a farm plus the Lego chess set and he would still have enough to live on comfortably for the rest of his life. And he said he would buy something for Eva as well.

Now they are playing with Eva's new Playmobil fairy and his Lego guys and I am realizing I need to take this time to EAT!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love that you guys have those types of conversations too. Jack is my biggest 'questioner' and often asks me things i don't know the answer to! so it's fun to look them up together!kristin

Jessica Huber said...

Yeah, it's great how one thing really moves on to another in this great questioning flow (mostly!)
Jessica