Pages

Friday, August 29, 2008

peaches

Yesterday was Peach Day and we got the carpets cleaned, which was a huge thrill in and of itself. I found this great guy who brought his 8 year old son with him to help and he actually understood that just because there are stains on your carpet does not mean you are a bad person. After he had finished, he said that most of the carpets that he cleans are really already clean and that it was nice to have a feeling of satisfaction after cleaning one for once. I am definitely going to take that as a compliment. We have wood floors in the other rooms, but the living room/ computer area and halls are all carpeted and wow what a difference. It looks great in here!

Peach Day was celebrated by canning peaches and making peach jam from the peaches that we picked earlier this week with Ellen. I still have plenty of peaches left over to make more peachy goodness or to freeze some if it comes to that. One thing that was great this time around while canning peaches was that I learned you can drop the peaches in boiling water just like tomatoes and pull their skins off sooooo easily. It was just a joy to find this out and I shared it with the kids and they pulled off a whole bowl full of peaches and then helped to chop some for the jam.

Today we picked some autumn raspberries and some blackberries and I am ready to pick pears as well. The leaves are just starting to turn here, just here and there, if you look close and the sun is moving lower in the sky a bit so there is that late summer warmth that is different from the high sun heat of mid summer. This is also the time of year when maybe I have had enough zucchini and really look forward to some eggplant in my produce basket to offset the squash. I made more minestrone and it was divine. Minestrone is definitely one of my very favorite soups. Looking forward to some more tomatoes to make tomato soup.

No comments: