Pages

Saturday, August 2, 2008

of interest

We read Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder and loved it as much as the other Little House books. Such inspiration!

We also enjoyed Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare. It is the story of a boy of 13 who stays behind to watch his family's new homestead in Maine while his father returns to Massachusetts to bring back his mother and sister. The boy is befriended by local Native American tribes...Really good. I wanted to read some more of her books but haven't yet. I may wait because the others seem more advanced.

...and Cricket in Time Square by George Selden...although when I tried to read the others- there is a series that follows this initial book- Samuel said it was good but not really good enough to read more of. On we go...

We are also reading the Catfish Bend series by Ben Lucien Burman, one of which I have from when I was a kid. I had to special order them from the library and am in kind of a hurry to get through them so that I can return them. I could probably get them for around $.50 each on Amazon but am hoping to finish the library ones while I can.

Samuel is designing a video game that he is hoping to sell to Lego to develop.

Eva is coming up with new stores and clubs every day...Eva's wood club, Eva's ice chopping club...and then she walks through the house announcing the grand opening and suggests everyone join her [for a small fee].

I am excited that the neighboring hummingbirds are coming to the garden because they LOVE the scarlet runner bean flowers and the borage flowers! I was just two feet from one in the garden yesterday!

Yesterday was Lammas- the day midway between Summer Solstice and the Autumn Equinox. It is a celebration of mid-summer harvest and I for one am celebrating with BLUEBERRIES and TOMATOES and ZUCCHINI!

No comments: