Pages

Monday, November 22, 2010

immunity tea

I was checking out an immune boosting herbal tea mix at New Seasons the other day and was disappointed to see there was echinacea in it. Ah well, echinacea is a wonderful herb for immunity but I am unfortunately allergic to it. So, I checked out the other ingredients and decided to try and recreate it as best I could at home. This is what I came up with-

2 bags rose hips
1 bag peppermint tea
1 bag tulsi tea with green tea
something like 3 Tbsp dried red clover
2-3 Tbsp dried nettles
fresh grated ginger
orange peel

I realize that in this mix echinacea looks like it would be the immunity power horse and that without it, the tea doesn't look like much of an immune booster. I really think, though, that with all of the different herbs together, particularly the red clover, it still makes for a good mix. Next time I will probably add fewer rose hips and more peppermint and ginger. Fennel seed and cayenne were also suggested to me, but I'm not sure how I feel about those flavors in this mix right now. I think calendula would make a nice addition as well and was in the original mix I saw at New Seasons. But- it was raining torrents outside that night and I knew if I went outside to pick calendula in the back garden I would melt. I actually didn't dry any calendula flowers this year either. I thought about adding chamomile as well but I don't always like how that flavor takes over. Oh- and someone also suggested thyme, which I have definitely enjoyed in tea in the past and which I have in large quantities on my patio. Next time.

No comments: