Pages

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

My friend Julie sent me some surprise books in the mail today! One of the books was the book of poems The Niagara River by Kay Ryan. I opened the book up to the poem Rubbing Lamps and wanted to share it here-
Things besides
Aladdin's and
the golden cave
fish's lamps
grant wishes.
In fact,
most lamps
aren't lamp-
shaped and
happen by
accident: an
ordinary knob
goes lambent
as you twist
or a cloth turns
to silver mesh
against a dish-
something
so odd and
filled with promise
for a minute
that you spend
your only wish
wishing someone else
could see it.
This reminded me so much of when I was younger and I wished I could somehow hook my brain up to a friend's to show them exactly what I felt or perceived or saw, so that they could understand me, see where I was coming from, connect with me over my point of view. How I wanted to see how they saw things, what they perceived, how their understanding was different, when their feelings felt the same. So much of life is sharing our thoughts, perceptions, inspirations with others...connecting with them where they are from where we are. Meeting one another, sharing what we love.

No comments: