Pages

Monday, January 12, 2009

The kids and I went for a walk with Jack, it was his idea after all, and we heard an owl. I haven't heard an owl in our neighborhood before and was so excited. He was pretty close too! So I went online, where else, and looked up his hoot on enature.com and I really think he was a Western Screech Owl. So fun. I know there are plenty of mice around because I can hear them sometimes and Maxwell has caught a few. An owl's gotta eat something, after all.

We went roller skating today and I was so irritated with that gosh darn!! (smile) iron claw machine. Eva is really taken with them and while all of the video games were turned off, there was ONE claw machine filled with tempting stuffed animals, situated just so to make it look like they would just fall into the claw if you asked them. I was thinking about this line in Everyday Blessings by Jon and Myla Kabat-Zinn where Myla asks, Where are our dance halls? Where can we go to enjoy ourselves without having to consume something or other. We went to the arcade the other day and took several turns in a couple of different claw machines and finally came away with three little animal key chains and Eva was thrilled. I tell you I was just not up for it today. We tried a few times with no success and then ended up leaving the roller rink with Eva in tears, so sad and angry about the whole thing and me wondering how long the claw fascination will continue. I think she was hungry too and that certainly added to it all. Nothing like a claw machine on an empty stomach.



Here Eva has gotten her babies ready for dinner. Their cookies went missing somehow. I still don't know who ate them. I did, however, find Samuel's Hershey bar from Halloween. Eva gave it to me for Christmas. No one was the wiser. Except for me of course and Eva most likely. I got to share it with Samuel on Christmas which we both enjoyed.

I keep meaning to post pictures of Eva's little finger people. Wondering what to do with all of that leftover gum? Why not make hair for your finger people? Or a little skirt?

No comments: