Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The other day I was making dinner...

and Eva came in to make dinner with me. She plays games while I cook or hang laundry or garden and incorporates her game into what I am doing. So, for instance, she came into the kitchen and explained that she was a woman back in olden times in Britain. And she asked me how I got here and would I like to help her. So I told her the trees brought me and yes I would like to help. And we're off... I cook dinner and through it Eva and I have a dialog going in her game. This one was very curious to me because I have been noticing Eva noticing some of our less than desirable aspects for women in our sometimes misogynistic culture.

Eva talked a lot about the culture where she was *pretending* to be. She said that in her culture, all of the women cook dinner. And all of the men run around outside saying "The British are coming, the British are coming!" And all of the children play all day long. And then she said this was all good because the women LIKED to cook dinner and the men LIKED to run around saying "The British are coming, the British are coming!" and the kids LIKED to play. I thought this was so great. I love that she puts such importance on all of the people enjoying what they do. Of course they enjoy it! Why else would you do something, after all!

After we finished cooking, Eva put everything out on the table because she likes to have a feast! When we had finished I told Eva that I wanted to vacuum. Eva turned to me and said, "Well, Momma, in this culture we only vacuum once a week and that day is, unfortunately, tomorrow."

No comments: