Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2007

“The means to gain happiness is to throw out from oneself like a spider in all directions an adhesive web of love, and to catch in it all that comes”
- Tolstoy

Eva took some photos of some of the largest spiders living in our front yard. We counted five giant spiders last night- there are others but these five all have bodies of about a 1/2 inch and their bodies plus legs are about 1 1/2 inches, maybe a little larger. They are big. I think four of them are banded garden spiders. One of them I thought was a large yellow garden spider but after looking at photos I don't think so any more. I lost the link of the spider I thought it was. Oh well, suffice it to say she is one large spider!





Two of the spiders were frightened by the flash. They ran off of their web to their hiding spot. The other three stood their ground, with one of them even displaying at the camera, putting her forelegs out to show us she was fierce and prepared to protect her web and/or eat us. It was tricky for Eva to get so close without running into the webs. I thought they turned out pretty good.

No comments: