Pages

Saturday, April 17, 2010

a little fluff on what i froze last winter

I am making tamales tonight. They are a great way to use up left over chicken and corn from last summer. I have been going through the freezer trying to use up what is still in there from last year's bounty and because last year was such an amazing year for corn and because I subscribed to not one but two CSA's last summer and because I thought the kids would be more into the frozen corn over the winter than they actually were, I still have some corn left. A little. After making the tamales, there is a little less. Corn isn't my favorite vegetable by a long shot and it was a stretch for me to figure out what to do with all of that corn. Tamales work out really well. I wish there was something like tamales for me to do with all of those green beans.

Green beans obviously make the list of vegetable I-shouldn't-have-frozen-so-many-of. Zucchini too. Definitely yellow squash. At least with zucchini I can make muffins. The yellow squash and most of the green beans simply lingered. I ate all of the peas. All of the tomatoes. None of the hot peppers. {Here's a good rule of thumb. If the peppers are too hot for me to eat during the summer, I will not magically want to eat them in January, no matter how cold it is outside. Yep.} I could probably do with a few more jars of canned tomatoes, but not really more than that. Hmmm. More broccoli. That is always appreciated by someone. Maybe some more chopped greens like kale and chard for when they are sparse? This winter was sort of a bummer for greens because all of the cabbage froze in December. I hadn't realized how much I had come to appreciate cabbage in January. One of the nice perks of having a CSA is learning about and looking forward to which vegetables will be around when.

Going to check on my tamales. Mine aren't very traditional and haven't been wrapped in corn husks. I use parchment paper and like to think I am wrapping up little packets off goodness when I fold them up. Hoping they are done so that I can share some of that goodness with Eva. And then off to push my girl on the swing. I know when she says, "Do you think you will have time today to push me on the swing?" that it is time to get pushing.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

ooooh, tamales! i love them so much. i got to be part of a holiday tamale making with a big family from south america one year. it was so neat! they even let me do the shaping in the leaves part. one of the ingredients they used was raisins that had been soaked in wine. SO good! ;) here is a corn recipe i made the other day and got up just so i could give it to you lol:
http://gfcfwhatscooking.blogspot.com/2010/04/southwestern-quinoa-veggie-casserole.html
i am going to be making a sweet potato and corn bisque tomorrow. watch for that on my blog if it sounds good to you. have you ever tried sauteing zuke with garlic and chili powder? BY FAR my favorite way to make it on its own! i also really like zuke cut in sticks and tossed with pesto. and chilaquiles. ok, i will stop now lol.

Carolyn said...

Yum. You made me hungry! :)