Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2008

A homeschooling blog moment

A couple of wonderful unschooling moments...



Here is Samuel taking apart our old printer. And to think I was going to take it be recycled. A near miss to be sure. Yesterday he took apart the old coffee maker and a flash light, an old mouse and a calculator we bought back in Kansas that never turned on properly. All were slated to be recycled but were turned into a very fun day for Samuel. He gives me the plastic that is left over so that I can recycle it all next week at the great plastics roundup!



Here is Eva dressed up in her princess outfit. She is spraying her hair with detangler so that she can comb it out and cut some more off. All the while she is immersed in a royalty game using words like, "we are not amused" and "don't you think, dear" and "you mean you don't know what peculiar means, dear?"



Here comes spring. Our first bulbs pop up. Jack with a giant carrot from our garden!



Cats loving the sunshine! Agnes and Maxwell. Magoo still sits on the heater to keep warm.



I made a lovely crisp with blackberries and apples and some bread. The kids loved the bread with raspberry jam from the summer.



The rec center has a time each week for homeschoolers to come and use the open gym. So here we are with our friends Kate and Jack. We brought hippety hops and have since acquired more for just such occasions.

The seasons are on the move again. There are more rainbows again and days filled with sun then showers, sun then showers. Some of the first signs for me are the emergent bulbs and the birds. There are dozens of robins flocking all over this berry bush that I can see out the window from the computer. If you go out to get a picture of them they fly off in a spectacular whoooosh. There are red-winged black birds back at the feeder again and calling around the water at the park. And the geese have started their daily flights up and around the neighborhood, sometimes twice a day or more, calling back and forth to one another. I try to make it outside for each flight because it is quite dramatic and when they are gone they are really gone. I remember being shocked last year when I realized they weren't around anymore for their daily flights. And! I have seen hawks in our yard twice, sitting on the fence and in the maple! How exciting! They must come for the view of the bird feeder. Maybe a male red-tailed hawk, I am not sure. A little small to be a female. I only suggest the red-tailed hawk because I know of some that nest in the park nearby. But it could be a Sharp shinned or Coopers hawk as well. Not sure. Still lots of fun. We are off to Sauvie Island Saturday to do some raptor watching with the local Audubon society. I am really looking forward to it!

No comments: