Pages

Saturday, December 22, 2007

sweater project

I finally picked up that sweater that I wanted to lengthen while everyone around here has been sick. Nothing like a house full of sick people and all the dishes done to open up an opportunity to do a much-put-off-task that I really wanted to do...



Here is the sweater, not quite long enough. Here it is with the scissors and part of the cast-on row cut off.



Here are the live stitches to pick up. And finally, here are the needles on the stitches.

The most challenging and tedious part by far was finding the actual row to pick up. My initial cutting was not quite straight enough and I took off far too much at some points so I had to go down two or three rows to find a full row to pick up. If I have to do it again I now know to cut on the cast-on row, not below it. Now that it is done with, though, the knitting is going smoothly. At first I was worried that the pattern would be slightly off because the knitting is in the opposite direction than the original knitting (so below where the cast-on row would have been) but whatever discrepancy there might be is so slight and easily covered by the pattern (k1, p3, k1...). What may actually turn out to be more of a concern is the color of the yarn. This yarn is individually hand dyed and each skein is different and the skeins I bought are slightly darker than any of the other ones I used for the rest of the sweater. This is also probably a minor concern and nothing compared to how fun it will be to have it the right length for wearing!

No comments: