Pages

Monday, October 15, 2007

Well, I brought in some laundry that had finally dried out on our patio this evening (it can take a couple days when it is really raining a lot here). I began folding the shirts and then out popped a pretty big spider. She was over an inch with her legs and she held onto my pants and would not budge when we tried to put her in a cup (maybe she had been in a cup before?) and finally I walked with her still on my pants outside and coaxed her off near some leaves and she ran away. When I went back inside and finished folding the laundry, I found a large pillow shaped egg sac! on my sweatpants that had been outside drying. Ack. I hate this kind of thing. Obviously, she knew where her egg sac was and didn't want to leave it. Silly human, always up to knowing better. So I went back outside! and looked around for her but it is dark and even with a flashlight it is pretty hard to find a spider on a patio with a bunch of fallen leaves about, even if she was large and bulbous and brown.

Ugh. So I put the egg sac back outside and am wishing hard that it is a type of spider (because I couldn't figure out which kind she was) that doesn't guard its young or stick around with them after they have hatched AND that she might still be able to lay another egg sac.

I hate the idea of getting in the way of someone's creation like that. I know it was an accident and my intentions were so obviously not to separate her from her egg sac- I have never intentionally done any harm to a spider. Ever. Still, I don't feel great about it and feel like my queasiness of having her sitting on my leg hampered my own um connection. So that is that. I really need to check the laundry a little more closely!

No comments: