Pages

Monday, October 29, 2007

change of flowers

The kids and I planted some pansies and violets in the front yard. We were doubly inspired because we are reading The Secret Garden and they are so enthusiastic in that book about things growing and fresh air! We took off all of the mulch from the flower bed and added fresh compost and soil and then turned it all into the soil. I can't bear to dig up flowers that are still thriving even if I know they won't be in a just a few weeks so I left the begonias and the two alyssums (although one of them has been there for over a year at least, so maybe those two will make it through the winter). The impatiens were already dead and we took them out. I have to say that they did not thrive in that space and I may think twice next year (if I remember) and not plant any impatiens there. Begonias yes! The begonias and I have a symbiotic relationship. They grow well for me and I enjoy their growing! And I keep planting them year after year. And the aphids and the slugs leave them alone!



Here is Samuel turning the soil.



Eva bringing back the mulch after the flowers have been planted.



Eva said it was a great day to make leaf collections. She sets up little scenes with her flowers and leaves and plants...



A leaf collection and one in progress with flowers as well.

2 comments:

kalandi swain said...

hallo friend i am frome india i hade search for meaning for voilet i hade get u r blog and i want t know about voilelt this is a only flower name ya any other things friend can u clear me this mail id
swainkalandi3@gmail.com

Jessica Huber said...

Looks like violets are good luck!
http://www.gardenguides.com/82340-meaning-violet-flowers.html