Pages

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Something I never thought I would say as a momma...

"Hey Eva! There goes an earwig! And there goes another! Do you want to put them in a jar?" Eva ran to catch the earwigs and we put two of them in a little jar I have all ready for this very occasion. Then we added some petunia petals and some geranium petals and a few oregano blossoms and a little lemon balm. When I set them free in a few hours I am confident that I will see little munch marks in the flower petals. Earwigs and slugs rarely pass up a good meal, even if it is in a jar.

It is earwig season and earwigs love to hide inside little crevices. Be careful if you use straws during earwig season, for instance, because they like to hide inside them. I have actually sucked up two earwigs since living here in the mighty Pacific Northwest. Lucky for me and the earwig! I was able to spit both of them out in time. Still, I tend to check out straws now before I use them.

Contrary to popular belief, earwigs do not try and get inside your ears (at least not any more than other insects who like little spaces) and they don't hang onto your ears with their pincers. The article that I linked above is the first place I have ever read that earwigs might actually go into your ear. Actually it says they "probably" go into your ear, so I am still not convinced.

Earwigs eat flowers and fruit and can be found hiding on peaches near the stem at the u-pick and on flower petals. They also like to climb into the blankets I hang on the clothesline and hide in the little crevice between the rope and the blanket. When we take down the blankets they run like crazy. Why do they run? Because they know that Eva is going to catch them and put them in a jar.

No comments: