Pages

Friday, August 17, 2007

books and minigolf

We went to play miniature golf (a.k.a. putt putt) the other day and the kids had a blast. I loved to see their different personalities play through the golf course in their own styles. Eva ran through the course at least twice as fast as me and Samuel. Each time she got the ball in the hole she shouted, "Hooray!" and then she ran on to the next hole, never daunted and thoroughly excited by the whole experience. Samuel went through the different holes one at a time and played each of the holes several times. He was out for a hole in one experience and he got six. Yes! Samuel got six holes in one. I am sure that my eyes popped and my mouth dropped open for the first, second and then third holes in one. Then I got used to it. It was pretty amazing to see him stand at one end and then see the ball just POP right into the hole. Afterward Samuel said that he liked the hole in one but that it also kind of ruined it for him because then he wanted to get one for every hole. By the end he was using his golf club like a pool cue (I had to look that one up) and shooting it into the hole. We were able to sneak out both golf balls this time in part because Samuel hit his so hard it flew out into the parking lot. As he said, he has a really good shot.

Eva has been enjoying a book on skeletons lately. We sat down last night and looked through every page of the book in depth. I think we will get the body book next. Samuel and I are reading The Last of the Jedi series by Jude Watson. It is all about the Jedi and those who support them after the Empire takes over in the Star Wars world. It is the third series we have read by this author and I am sorry to say her last so far. We also recently read The Mouse and the Motorcycle between Jedi books. I have been tossing around the idea of Harry Potter next but I am still concerned it might be a bit much for us still. I am currently reading The Happiness Myth. It is interesting but not for the feint of heart. It examines some or the things that are taken pretty seriously in our culture and explains where they come from and why thinking they will make us happy is basically delusional and a misplaced use of our energy. A real page turner. Also an enjoyable book by Stuart Wilde, The Force. This one is more about the real meaning of life. A good mix.

No comments: