Pages

Thursday, May 7, 2009

all grown up

Sometimes no matter what you do, things happen anyway. The mesclun bolted when I wasn't looking. I went out to the garden today and was amazed to see lovely yellow flowers on several of the mesclun plants. I had thought that the slightly chillier, rainy weather would slow the bolting process. I am so glad I harvested all the mesclun that I did the other day when I suspected bolting. On the up side there is now a lovely spot for the tomatoes I plan to buy for Mother's Day this weekend at the Farmers Market. I was wondering where they would go, what with all of the kale and mesclun and spinach and peas. Peas! Wow have I got peas! And I am happy to say there are mainly sweet peas and shelling peas this year with a spattering of sugar snap peas thrown in for good measure. Every year I plant a ton of sugar snap peas and there are just too many for me to eat. I prefer shelling peas and love to freeze some of those for later as well. And of course my love for sweet peas is well documented in photos on this blog and elsewhere. Surely they are one of the prettiest and most fragrant flowers out there?

Tonight I had spinach and chard and onions straight from the garden. I feel squeaky clean with the freshness of the food!


mesclun blooming

No comments: