Pages

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

After all that. After all that! I went out this morning to mow the lawn and who do you think was waiting? Waiting! Momma Yellow Jacket of course. She flew right into the shed just as I opened up the door and flew all around inside, all chaotic and haphazard, this way and that. She checked out her old nest site. She sat in the shade. I tried reasoning with her. Pointed out other sites. When I thought she had flown out of the shed and I had the lawn mower, I checked inside again and closed up the door. I looked around- no Momma Yellow Jacket. Perhaps while I mowed the lawn she would see that this place with the open and close doors where she could not reliably return was not the place for her nest. Of course how patient she had been to think that after all that time it was still the place for her. I know. I've been there.

After I finished up with the lawn I went to return the lawn mower to its shed. I opened up the door and out flew Momma Yellow Jacket. Good grief! How on Earth...Was she stuck in there that whole time while I mowed the lawn? This, I thought, might be a good thing. Not only was the shed not a place she could get into when she wanted, it was also not a place she could get out of. She had flown off with such force when I opened the shed and I looked around to see if she was anywhere to be seen? I closed the doors to the shed and knew this time she wasn't inside.

Of course you know the ending right? I stood watching the shed door for a few moments and wasn't surprised to see her flying back over to the door. She flew around a bit and then went over to a small opening where the sliding door met the wall and in she walked. Right inside the shed. What's a girl to do? She apparently has her heart set on this shed and I guess as long as her nest isn't right over the lawn mower I am Ok with sharing space with her after all. I thought about the many ways of surrender as I walked back to the house.

No comments: