Pages

Thursday, February 4, 2010

peaceful knitting

I have been feeling a little uninspired about what to write on the old blog these days. Maybe it is the illness. Something too about spending quite a bit of time over the past couple of months figuring out some time honored life lessons about peace-of-mind and I suddenly have very little to say on the philosophical front and feel more like putting it into practice. So I am practicing again and good grief trying to appreciate the pause in chaos for once because goodness knows I wish for peace when the chaos is here. Why not enjoy the peace when it finally decides to make an entrance. But not a hanging-on-fearful-when-it-will-end sort of enjoyment. {Although there is certainly some of that, but that takes practice. More practice.} But more like an appreciation for where I am right now- whether peaceful or chaotic- and feeling the benefit of each. So I see I did have something to say after all.

I find I get so good at being with the chaos that the peace feels- quiet. Not wanting to inadvertently bring on any unnecessary chaos, I have been working on quite a bit of knitting. My new plan to staying peaceful. You've no idea how much more knitting I can do when it is peaceful. Chaotic knitting is left to sit over and over again. Dropped stitches. Forgotten needle sizes. Lost patterns. But peaceful knitting? Peaceful knitting flows off the needles lickety split. And the inspiration. Idea after idea. Doable. Done.

I am currently fixing up a sweater that I knit last year but that hasn't quite worked out the way I had hoped. The last week or more I have been adding length, changing the bottom from ribbing to a hem and turning it into a cardigan. I am all set to add a zipper after I finish up putting in pockets. At the very least I hope it will be a good sweater for the changing weather of spring. I need something to wear to Sauvie Island when we go to check on the frogs. I'll post a before and after picture when I am done. My plan is to do one new project each month and then finish up a project that has been sitting around. This project I am finishing up is moving into the next month but I think it will be worth it once it is done. Then onto a scarf. More lace. I can't get enough.

No comments: