Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

one

(OK- I'm totally off track for the blog every day thing {not going to add *already*. That seems implied. Sort of.} Things came up and blogging didn't happen. Oh well. I'm making the best of it now and adding extra today. It won't count for the official blogging counters, but I'll go ahead and count it for myself and try for the official counters next month {again}.)

We've been having fun with my new ipod touch that I was given for my birthday. The kids have also been playing quite a bit with the Star Wars figures. Samuel was given several new guys for Christmas and bought two more just the other day at Toys R Us with a gift card he was also given. Toys R Us, by the way, is much more palatable on January 3rd than it was on December 27th. Samuel noticed right away and will hopefully remember this fact next year as well so that we can forego what has turned into a yearly trip right after Christmas. Obviously, this is something I would skip anyway, but I try and be supportive at Christmas with this sort of thing. And really, if I'm at all honest with myself, I also know that it will be more restful if I just go ahead and make the trip than if I try and put it off. That is- unless he decides to wait on his own. Which- as i mentioned above- he may very well choose to do next year. We shall see.

The other thing the kids and I have been spending time doing is playing the game Carcassonne. It was introduced to me at Powells a few days before Christmas by a dad who very kindly explained to me all of the games on this large table of games they had featured at the store. He had played them all- plays most of them still- and Carcassonne was one that he highly recommended- both in general and for Samuel's age. And he was right. It is an excellent game and all three of us keep suggesting we play it. The length is just right for Eva {and me} and there is enough strategy to keep Samuel enthusiastic. Plus, you get to say you are a knight if you put your little wooden guy in a castle, and who doesn't like that. We all like being thieves. And today, the monasteries turned into zen monasteries, which I had to laugh at. A fine mixing of East and West in the Middle Ages.



Plus, Eva likes to play with and build with the little Carcassonne guys.

2 comments:

Shady Lady said...

I so have to check out Carcassonne!!

I wanted to give you a heads up about apps. Apparently within free apps you have the opportunity to buy coins and flowers and the like. No password is required and the prices are really steep. My best friend ended up with $500 in charges. Her son purchased these by accident, not realizing the price. You can change your settings to avoid it. Go into "restrictions" and turn in app purchases off.

I'm all for iPhone/iPod apps, but $500 is way over my budget. ;)

Jessica Huber said...

Thanks for this Shady- it actually came up and I was ready. I can see where that could be a problem and really add up. Eeek!