Pages

Thursday, July 8, 2010

berry lore

A few berry related events. We went to the upick on Monday before the heat struck and Eva ventured off to pick currants on her own. She had been practicing doing various errands around the upick the last couple of times- going to the bathroom, going back to the car for an umbrella, going for some water, that sort of thing. And this time she was off to the currant section. We're not sure what we are going to do with them but I have some ideas about jelly I am investigating.

The first jam of the season has been made and consumed in great quantities. Raspberry! I decided not to make strawberry jam this year and am planning, at least for the time being, to make at least some boysenberry jam, if not Marionberry or even black berry. I would love to make a cobbler as well but since I have frozen all of the excess berries at this point, I am waiting for it to cool off a bit before I head back to the upick to pick some more. I'm wondering if this heat will be enough to jump start some of the other berries who start to become available during this particular berry time.



I picked the first pint from our blueberry bushes out front the day before yesterday! Obviously, this is a very exciting event and I am looking forward to picking more. They are big and blue and perfect out there. I feel a little trepidation about going out this evening to see if there are more but may check on them if it cools off later.



Blueberry transition.

No comments: