Pages

Saturday, August 22, 2009

summer abundance

Whew- this afternoon (late) and apparently this evening as well- who knew it was so late- I processed the produce from both of my CSA baskets. One came yesterday afternoon and I picked the other larger one up today at the farmers market. This is what happened with all of that produce-
- so much corn cut off the cob and frozen (I am officially tired of corn on the cob. It doesn't take long because it is just too sweet for me to eat often. I love it more in tamales and in the middle of the winter for the kids.)
- corn and peppers prepped for tamales later this week
- chicken cooked, also prepped for tamales
- minestrone soup made! (I used the chicken broth, zucchini, eggplant, peppers, onion, garlic, basil...)
- half of the eggplant not used in the minestrone roasted for dip tomorrow
- peppers chopped and frozen
- tomato, basil, pepper chopped for sauce later this week (I may end up just freezing this because I am not in the mood for pasta right now, particularly with the minestrone.)
- salsa made!
- so many cucumbers chopped and ready for salad or dipping
- lettuce chopped, washed, spun and ready for salad
- gravenstein apple and blackberry crisp made! (We picked a few blackberries yesterday and the apples came in the second CSA basket today!)

What's left? There are a couple of tomatoes on the counter for cheese sandwiches and morning toast with butter. There are still potatoes and cabbage from prior weeks in the refrigerator and um several {ahem} zucchini. What's a cook to do with so much zucchini? It has to be one of the more optimistic vegetables. I also have a counter full of watermelon (yellow and red), cantaloupe (two varieties), peaches and apples (the first of the season!), if you can believe it. The fruit is from the farmers market and the upick. Oh yes, there are also fall raspberries that I think will end up in a smoothie tomorrow morning. Did I mention peaches? The abundance of this time of year is near gushing at this point. Enjoy the season. The flavors are endless.

And now to play some go fish with Eva. She has been waiting for me to finish up with the food for quite some time now and has been dividing her time between Albert and the new disc swing I put up for her in the back yard a few days ago. I meant to get a picture of her on the swing but my camera has been lost for several days and only just recovered. Photos will have to wait until after go fish!

No comments: