Pages

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Walt Whitman and other encounters

Here's a Walt Whitman poem I read today before returning the book to the library-
To a Stranger by Walt Whitman
Passing stranger! you do not know how longingly I look
upon you,
You must be he I was seeking, or she I was seeking, (it
comes to me as of a dream,)
I have somewhere surely lived a life of joy with you,
All is recall'd as we flit by each other, fluid, affectionate,
chaste, matured,
You grew up with me, were a boy with me or a girl with me,
I ate with you and slept with you, your body has become
not yours only nor left my body mine only,
You give me the pleasure of your eyes, face, flesh, as we
pass, you take of my beard, breast, hands, in treutrn,
I am not to speak to you, I am to think of you when I sit
alone or wake at night alone,
I am to wait, I do not doubt I am to meet you again,
I am to see to it that I do not lose you.
I just finished reading The Craggy Hole in My Heart and the Cat Who Fixed It by Geneen Roth.

Eva and I sat today outside on our patio in the May sunshine and took in all of the flowers around us. The mason bees love the apple tree who is outdoing itself this year with amazing blossoms I am sure I would have remembered from last year. Eva brought us tea from her tea party and then the groceries were delivered! and we ate chocolate cream cookies and I made a turkey pastrami sandwich with the bread we had from the farmer's market yesterday and I surprised her with some fresh strawberries all the way from California. Can't wait to upick next month!

Samuel is happy with his bike riding and horse riding and loves listening to stories on CD. Right now he is enjoying another Freddy story by Walter Brooks.

We will try and plant tomatoes next week although we may wait as the trusted farmer at the market said another two-three weeks for tomatoes and peppers for sure. There is not really space for them yet anyway because the broccoli is busy flowering and the kale is waiting for the juicer!

No comments: