Pages

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Do you remember way back in December when I wanted to go for a walk in the woods to celebrate Winter Solstice? And how we didn't get to go because the kids were sick and then I was sick? And then how we still didn't get to go the next month or the next because of one thing or another and then the kids got sick again and then I got sick- again? Well, I am happy to say that today! we went for a walk in the woods, a spontaneous walk at the Arboretum, and I realized this was our first walk in the woods in a long long time. Finally, one week before the Spring Equinox, we found ourselves in the woods again! Yeah!

We ended up in the woods today because we were visiting with my friend Mary and her daughter Addie who were in town visiting for a couple of days. We haven't seen them since we left California nearly 5 years ago and it was great to see them both. We also got to meet her brother and his friend who were also in town to visit with Mary and we all ended up at the Arboretum (rather than the Japanese Gardens) and had a lovely time enjoying the woods and the kids got to climb on the tree roots and I got to show Mary the amazing moss and lichen that grows in the very damp woods of Oregon!

And the only thing that was troubling was having to tell Jack when we got home that we did indeed go to the Arboretum without him today- because he had an inkling before we knew ourselves, that we would go someplace glorious today and when we left the house he was particularly upset that he wasn't going with us. And you say, why tell him, why upset him so? Because he knew and I had to be honest with him. He could tell by the dirt on my jeans and the mossy damp smell on my hands and I swear he turned his head away when we got home and that he knew we had done the unthinkable and -gasp-gone on a walk without him. So I told him that I would take him to the woods- the Arboretum or Sauvie Island, maybe, as it time to see the frogs- and he was pleased with that. No one like a dog to remind you just how great a walk in the woods can really be!

No comments: