Pages

Friday, November 2, 2007

fennel

There was fennel in my produce basket this week. I am not keen on fennel and I wondered what I would do with it. Would I simply leave it in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks until mold grew on it and then take it out to the compost pile? Would I try a recipe and then freeze the part I didn't like and leave it there for months until I cleaned out the freezer again...Eva found a use for the fennel that was, I believe, far more rewarding for us and the fennel. She used it to line her dinosaur nest and deposited her dinosaur eggs in it.



Eva building her nest with the fennel. The dinosaur eggs (roasted pumpkin seeds from Halloween, of which there is an enormous amount...)



The dinosaur nest with eggs, a stegosaurus nest to be exact.



"I never thought I could be a real dinosaur mother..." she said with awe and satisfaction!



Eva's own photo of the nest and the remains of the fennel (still enough, I suppose, to sit it out in the refrigerator for a while, unless I make a bold move and put it directly in the compost pile tonight! Any fennel fans out there, we have some extra!)

No comments: