Pages

Saturday, May 12, 2007

it's a radish!





I nearly forgot, we harvested our first radish. It seems we may have been able to harvest them before this. It is my first time growing radishes and I erred on the side of larger. So here is Eva looking very excited to try the radish and here is our first radish. It was about three inches long or more, maybe four! and when I went to check on the rest out in the garden I saw that there are some that are much larger. Unfortunately, Eva, who loves radishes in general and whose idea it was to plant them, spit this one out when she tried it. It is very spicy. This may be one reason why I have never grown radishes before. I ended up cooking the radish and its greens with some of our chard and kale and some pasta or something and it was delicious. It is also going to be great in chicken soup someday.

Up until this point we have been eating veggies from our garden that were planted last fall- the chard that the former owners planted and their wonderful onions. And of course I have had some borage tea, but the borage plants are all volunteers from last year as well. Harvesting the radish (and the kale!) marks the beginning of food from this year. We planted the radish seeds in February and the kale plants last month. How exciting!

No comments: