Pages

Friday, April 27, 2007

why practice?

I use the word practice a lot these days. The other day I was with my son at the skating rink and I was helping him try out roller skating. He was very frustrated and told me he didn't want to practice, he just wanted to know how to roller skate. I could relate. This got me thinking and I looked up practice in the dictionary:

practice-1. to do or engage in frequently or usually; make a habit or custom of /to practice thrift/
2. to do repeatedly in order to learn or become proficient

To be sure, many things I do fall under both categories. I practice mothering my children; I practice growing tomato plants; I practice knitting; I practice being angry without yelling; I practice listening. Sometimes I am where I want to be and sometimes not. What I am learning is that for me continuing to practice is what counts. Life is a process and practice is a part of that process.