Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

galette inspiration

So I've made 3 galettes this week, inspired by the fruit still in my freezer, the fruit starting to show up at the farmers market, and the fruit picking season, which does not seem quite as distant as it once did. I used a new recipe for pate brisee with corn meal that I found on Martha Stewart when I went searching for how to cook rhubarb in a galette. I was struck by how different each galette turned out, depending on how long I left the dough (or did not) in the refrigerator and how dry (or moist) the dough was. The first was a rhubarb-raspberry galette that turned out picture perfect. The second was blueberry and had much drier crust and therefore didn't roll out nearly as well. (Still tasted good...) And the third was peach-strawberry-blueberry. It ended up being fantastic, but was a bit concerned during the cooking process because of all of the liquid. The dough was also a little soft, due in part to me not having time to refrigerate it at all. All were equally tasty, though, regardless of their form. I'm leaning toward a savory one next, with the extra dough currently in my refrigerator. I've got some extra greens lingering that would be perfect, I think.

Here are the galettes and some chocolate covered raspberries thrown in for good measure-





Also- two recent pictures {I liked} of Samuel, age 11 (with bedroom light behind him) and Eva, age 8.

5 comments:

Shady Lady said...

Oh my those look delicious!!!

Jessica Huber said...

They were! I thought of you last night while I was making my cheesecake :) The savory galette, btw, was a little dry. It think this crust favors fruit.

radishly said...

hehe, i took a pic of that first galette, too! it was so pretty!

Jessica Huber said...

Oh! Thank you!! I was so proud of that galette! It *was* pretty :)

radishly said...

it actually made it into geo's baby book <3 preserved forever!