Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

J is for jam, which I had to buy for the first time in a few years because {gasp} I actually ran out of my summer raspberry jam. Next year, I will try and remember to set aside two jars for Samuel's birthday. He likes angel food roll cakes with raspberry jam in the center each year for his birthday. I generally make two, because one cake goes quickly. This year, Eva learned how to separate eggs while we made his cakes together. She made the first cake, after figuring out the separation technique, mostly by herself, and really enjoyed sifting and folding the flour. After separating twelve more eggs for the second cake, she wandered off and I finished up the second cake. I have to say, after several years of trial and error with rolling these cakes, I have found that rolling the flat sheet while it is still hot creates a much smoother roll.

It is slightly disappointing that I didn't get to use my own jam for these cakes, because not only is my jam a better consistency for spreading, it tastes better. No matter. Samuel wanted raspberry jam so we bought raspberry jam. All we have left in the cupboard from last summer are a few jars of strawberry and marionberry, which I will probably use on Eva's roll cake that she is now requesting for her own birthday. She told me today that the marionberry jam is her favorite. So-unfortunately- I opened two jars of unmarked {marionberry} jam today. But- fortunately- I can use at least one of those jars in just ten days for Eva's birthday.

No comments: